Listen to and download Ralph's Latest Album (12 tracks)
Listen to and download Route 3 (11 tracks)
Listen to and download HepTones (9 tracks)
Route 3 / HepTones Compact Disc (16 tracks)
Ralph Hepola - Tuba Compact Disc (12 tracks)
Improvising tuba player Ralph Hepola performs original music with world-class teammates.
Spectrum Recordings 180820
Listen to and download twelve tracks, or buy the physical compact disc for $15.00 (includes shipping).
Listen to and download twelve tracks
Ralph Hepola, tuba
Peter Shu, piano and all keyboards except as noted
Daniel Arlig, acoustic and electric basses
David Stanoch, drums and percussion
Mark Asche, keyboard on Hepmobile and piano on Blue Moment
Peter Lothringer, guitar on Ralph’s Riff and Through the Wringer
Blue Moment; Clarion Call; Hepmobile; Incoming Blues and Phraseology composed and arranged by Ralph
American Landscape and Roots and Wings composed and arranged by Ralph Hepola and Peter Shu.
Three Traditional Celtic Airs: Black-Eyed Susan; Mary, Young and Fair and Scottish Lullaby arranged by
Ralph Hepola and Peter Shu.
Ralph’s Riff and Through the Wringer composed and arranged by Peter Lothringer.
Funded by an Individual Artist Grant awarded to Ralph Hepola by the Southwest Minnesota Arts Council.
Gary Ness, photos
Rita Fonder, graphic design
Aaron Lange, web design
copyright 2019, a HepTones production
Clarion Call utilizes the chord progression of trumpeter Kenny Dorham’s Blue Bossa. A clarion was a type of trumpet during the Middle Ages. Incidentally, the Latin word for trumpet is tuba.
The title Hepmobile was derived from the Hupmobile, an automobile manufactured from 1909 through 1939 by the Hupp Motor Car Company of Detroit. The piece is a “solo vehicle” for tuba.
Phraseology is a bebop tune with multiple choruses played on the tuba.
Celtic Airs such as Danny Boy and The Blue Bells of Scotland have long been favorites of brass players. This recording presents three that are rarely heard: Black-Eyed Susan; Scottish Lullaby and Mary, Young and Fair.
The last track was inspired by the American Landscape School of Painters who flourished circa 1820 to 1880. Adventuresome and entrepreneurial, they painted scenes of incredible natural beauty on very large canvases.
I will sing and make music to the Lord. – Psalm 27:6
Listen to and download eleven tracks
Route 3 takes you on a trip through time and around the country. As you will hear, our repertoire is the Great American Songbook – 150 years of Popular American Music. Enjoy your trip down that magical, musical highway called Route 3!
Listen to and download nine tracks
solo tuba – music from past centuries to the twenty-first century – truly unique
1) I Got Rhythm - George Gershwin, lyrics: Ira Gershwin, 1930
2) The Green Door - Bob Davie, lyrics: Marvin Moore, 1956
3) Medley: Londonderry Air - traditional Irish / Danny Boy - Frederick Edward Weatherly, 1913
4) Honolulu I Am Coming Back Again - F.B. Silverwood, D. Lindeman, 1919
5) If I Only Had a Brain - Harold Arlen, lyrics: E.Y. Harburg, 1939
6) Choucoune (The Mocking Bird) - Michel Mauleart Monton, 19th century
7) Twelfth Street Rag - Euday L. Bowman, 1914
8) Route 3 - R. Hepola
9) Le Basque - Marin Marais (1656-1728)
10) Hornpipe a l’Inglese - Johann Ernst Galliard (1687-1749)
11) Spiritoso - Johann Ernst Galliard (1687-1749)
12) This Is My Father’s World - English melody
13) A Slow Hot Wind - Henry Mancini, 1963
14) View from Vallarta - R. Hepola
15) At Last - Harry Warren, 1942
16) Pipe Up! - R. Hepola
Total Duration of CD: 62:49
$15.00 (includes shipping) Buy Compact Disc